There are green-eyed Mexicans. The rich blond Mexicans. The Mexicans with the faces of Arab sheiks. The Jewish Mexicans. The big-footed-as-a-German Mexicans. The leftover-French Mexicans. The chaparrito compact Mexicans. The Tarahumara tall-as-desert saguaro Mexicans. The Mediterranean Mexicans. The Mexicans with Tunisian eyebrows. The negrito Mexicans of the double coasts. The Chinese Mexican. The curly-haired, freckle-faced, red-headed Mexicans. The Lebanese Mexicans. Look, I don't know what you're talking about when say I don't look Mexican. I am Mexican. Even though I was born on the U.S. side of the border.
Sandra Cisneros, Caramelo

Monday, March 7, 2011

Cultural References in "You Bring Out the Mexican in Me"

As I was analyzing this poem, I found I didn't understand many of the references Cisneros made. Here's a quck glossary!


lagrímas: tears


Dolores del Río: a Mexican actress from the Golden Age of movies, known for her exotic beauty and refined demeanor


navajas: pocket knives

mariachi: a group of Mexican musicians, usually composed of a trumpet and various string instruments

obsidian: a black, hard volcanic glass formed by rapid cooling of lava, often found in Mexico

berrinchuda, bien-cabrona: essentially, a bitch with a temper

Mexico City '85 earthquake: a reference to two massive earthquakes (8.1 and 7.5) that hit Mexico City in the span of two days; the death toll was estimated from 5,000 to 10,000 lives

Popocatepetl: "Smoking Mountain," an Aztec name given to the active volcano located SW of Mexico City

Ixtaccíhuatl: "Sleeping Woman," an Aztec name for a volcano close to Popocateptl

Agustín Lara: a twentieth century Mexican singer and songwriter; Gutierrez y Muhs calls him a "perfect example of impossible, nostalgic love, a 'sufrido'" (26)

barbacoa taquitos: barbecued tacos

Me sacas lo mexicana en mi: “You bring out the Mexican in me”

Uled-Nayl: a dance performed by Arab harem women, notably in Algeria

Flecha Roja mountain disaster: I couldn’t find an explanation of this one, but the people of Flecha Roja are very proud of their autobuses!

¡Alarma! : Caution!

Tlazoltéotl: an Aztec goddess who represented sexual impurity and sinful behavior; she was an important and complex earth-mother goddess.

Piñón: a pine seed

Copal: a resin of recent or fossil origin, obtained from various tropical trees and used in certain varnishes

Virgen de Guadalupe: patron saint of Mexico

Coatlicue: Aztec Earth Goddess of life and death

Quiero ser tuya: “I want to be yours”

Quiero amarte: “I want to love you”

Atarte: “to bind you”

Amarrarte: “I want to tie you to me”

2 comments:

  1. With regards to the The Flecha Roja, here's your explanation: http://www.nrhs1.org/images/Dispatcher_October_2010c.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexandra, thank you for the work of listing the other references in the poem! I'm sure they'll be insightful once I've read it in full with your references!

      Delete